Sunday, April 7, 2013

DJ Grizzly - FTS Interview / April Mix

Lemme tell you, as a kid whose been raving for a couple years; good DJ's are fucking hard to come by.
That being said good DJ's are the lifeblood of a scene; they are the direct channel between the music and the listener. Without them we'd all be dancing to the fucking radio... and right next to the DJ is the promoter; without that dude we'd all be shuffling around our bedrooms on friday night instead of in a warehouse stuffed with smoke machines and light shows, you know meeting people... hearing new music... experiencing new things; and as this scene grows the major players are beginning to emerge to start shit up, and personally I'm psyched.

So lucky for us we were able to snag an interview with the newly-formed Staten Island Parties' DJ Grizzly; (Add Him Now Bitch) a veteran of the NYC scene whose lately turned a lot of his attention to his home borough...

FTS: Most “how I got into raving” stories are pretty nuts and I'm guessing yours especially has been pretty crazy, mind telling us it, and how you first started to DJ?

Grizzly: How I got into DJing is I always loved music, I go crazy for it; anyone whose seen me spin before will know what I mean. It moves me in a way I can’t explain. When the drop hits my adrenaline rush just lets loose. Of course I've always love parties, everything about it; the lights, sound, video, the party favors and all the other equipment used. I had a chance to hang behind the booth for an event. It was a crowd of 150 people. I saw how the DJ at the time was transitioning from song to song smoothly and moving the crowd to the beat. It was incredible to see that along with songs I had on my iPod at that time that my friends had never heard of and they liked the tracks so I wanted to share my passion of music to others. I saw DJing as my way to mix songs/genres that I love and share it with people who enjoy it and make them move like it does for me. There are always new songs and genres that I fall in love with and would wanna share them with others. I work hard every day to express myself in the best way and share the music I love and have a passion for. Along the way I met great friends and amazing DJ's like Jess Irizarri, Dmitry Mozenkov, Fred Nigma and David Lyons who brought me into the rave scene that I’m now hooked too and love. Also James Jannetti and many others. You know who you are who have helped me improve as a DJ with mixing different styles and always been there on my good and bad days.

FTS: There’s a lot of varying genre’s springing up in the scene; but if there was just one underground genre of music you could introduce in your sets, which one would it be?

Grizzly: An underground genre that I would love to see come out is Psy-Trance; shown by one of my DJ friends Fred Nigma (Add Him). I see it as a genre that’s not really big in the America, but huge in Europe; the beat to it is just amazing.

FTS: What’s a classic song you would love to see get a real quality deep acid remix?

Grizzly: Hmm… I would wanna see Mozart or Beethoven music mixed with Deep Acid that would be crazy.

FTS: The NYC rave scene is pretty well established, what sort of elements do you envision for the burgeoning Staten scene in contrast to NYC as whole?

Grizzly: The NYC rave scene is huge but the only thing missing on the island for ravers is that there weren’t any raves that I heard of actually on SI; mostly because there aren’t a lot of locations that are suitable for a raves. It sucks, but me and my team called Staten Island Parties (https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Staten-Island-Parties/124794631041183) are looking for great locations to host big parties so Staten EDM heads won’t have far to go. If anybody wants to join our group and make a difference add me or like the page and let us know.

FTS: What venue are you most looking forward to throwing a crazy-ass, balls-to-the-wall, non-stop-light-show rave at?

Grizzly: A Venue that I’m looking forward to throwing a party at is definitely Club Amazura it’s this huge place with 3 floors that can fit up to 1000 people (possibly more) and great raves have been there like Holiday Madness.

You're welcome bass-heads! Now onto the ELECTRO SON o.O

Power Friends by Dj Grizzly on Mixcloud

2 comments: