Saturday, March 23, 2013

Shaolin Squad - Angel Dust


I would like to begin with a quote from the Staten Island demi-god Ghostface Killah as he regaled his past drug-use to an interviewer asking about the origin of his style:

"I was a dust-head, man...I used to drink a lot back then too; especially around [Only Built 4] Cuban Lynx... There's a lot of that mentality in certain hoods on the island... Which is why I think I sound so aggressive on a lot of shit from around then..."


Now, personally, I'm not gonna talk about my thoughts on drug use; whether or not it's "okay" is entirely up to whoever is involving themselves with it (I know a kid who can't handle three beers... yup, three... but I also have met a man who weekend warriors with 8-balls and manages a restaurant flawlessly... so....)

But it's true that a lot of bass music entwines with drug use; raves and rolls are very often said in the same sentence. Even kids who go underground "just for the music" must notice the masses of sunken-eyed wall flowers and glow-painted girls drooling on themselves, don't they?
So when listening to this track here's a thought; while it's true that this shit might have been born from a run-down house party off Jersey St. and while it may be the most evil trap song you'll hear for a while, and even while trap music ITSELF was born from southern crack-cookers bumping in the kitchen; we don't have to bow down to drugs in order to bump trap music, but we should respect where it comes from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment